3.1.05
"The greatness of a man's power is the measure of his surrender." William Booth

To me, this speaks of the power of God that rests in us when we choose to surrender ourselves and be truly humble. When I choose to surrender my wordly right to be offended, or angry or hurt or entitled to some form of restitution.
It appears to be an easy move - surrender - when I'm blogging about it. Living it is something entirely different. I'm struggling. 25 years in the 'world', studying its values and surging ahead with its moral code has left me with programming that sickens me. I proclaim with Paul - "O what a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"
In his commentary, Matthew Henry says this of Paul's words:

"Compared with the holy rule of conduct in the law of God, the apostle found himself so very far short of perfection, that he seemed to be carnal; like a man who is sold against his will to a hated master, from whom he cannot set himself at liberty. A real Christian unwillingly serves this hated master, yet cannot shake off the galling chain, till his powerful and gracious Friend above, rescues him."

And that is it - the closer I come to perfection, the more glaring are my imperfections and equally obvious is the evidence that I can do no thing to change my sinful state apart from the blood of Christ Jesus.

Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God–through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin. Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

"Believers may be chastened of the Lord, but will not be condemned with the world. By their union with Christ through faith, they are thus secured." Matthew Henry

Hallelujah.
 
posted by Hezza at 10:38 p.m. | Permalink |


0 Comments: